Principles of Transit Riders of the United States Together (TRUST)
Drafted April 2020
We are an anti-racist, democratic, member-led coalition of U.S. transit riders unions focused on grassroots organizing for rider power:
- Comprised of organizations led by and centering the voices of the poor and working-class transit riders, operating independently of transit agencies.
- Committed to achieving safe, equitable, reliable, affordable, and environmentally sustainable transit accessible to all.
- Committed to living wages, safe working conditions, and union rights for transit workers.
- Committed to a complete transit system that meets the needs of each community with no community left out. A complete system includes a paratransit system that fully meets the needs of workers and riders.
- Committed to the expansion and improvement of transit service, including high-capacity transit, but not at the expense of historically divested communities and fixed-route bus riders.
- Committed to securing dedicated and sustainable funding for public transit at the local, state, and federal level, equitably shared by those able to pay rather than on the backs of riders.
- Committed to working in coalition with other groups committed to racial, social, economic, and environmental justice in a way that sees transit justice as connected to struggles for fair healthcare, affordable housing, clean air and water and a livable planet, and decent work and wages for all.